IDC released their Q4 server numbers on Wednesday. Here is a quick summary of the findings – for a full summary, read the full report via the link at the bottom.
Worldwide Server Data
- factory revenue in the worldwide server market increased 3.1% year over year to $14.6 billion
- server shipments decreased 3.9% to 2.1 million units
- volume systems and high-end systems experienced 4.2% and 6.4% revenue growth to $9.1 billion and $4.1 billion respectively
x86 Industry Standard Server Market Dynamics
- x86 server market increased 6.0% in the quarter to $9.7 billion worldwide
- x86 unit shipments decreased 3.7% to 2.1 million servers
- x86 sales accounted for 66.2% of all server spend
- HP’s x86 factory revenue increased 4.4% to 32.7% share
- Dell’s x86 factory revenue increased 5.7% to 22.9%share
- IBM’s x86 factory revenue came in at 16.7% share
- Cisco’s x86 factory revenue came in at 5% share
Blade Server Market Results
IDC included density optimized servers and blade servers under the category of “modular form factor” so here are the details on blade servers:
- blade servers grew 3.3% year over year to $2.4 billion
- blades now account for 16.3% of total server revenue
- HP’s blade revenue share came in at 44.7%
- IBM’s blade revenue share came in at 21.7%
- Cisco’s blade revenue share came in at 15.3% share
To read the full IDC report, visit http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23974913
Kevin Houston is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of BladesMadeSimple.com. He has over 15 years of experience in the x86 server marketplace. Since 1997 Kevin has worked at several resellers in the Atlanta area, and has a vast array of competitive x86 server knowledge and certifications as well as an in-depth understanding of VMware and Citrix virtualization. Kevin works for Dell as a Server Sales Engineer covering the Global 500 market.
Disclaimer: The views presented in this blog are personal views and may or may not reflect any of the contributors’ employer’s positions. Furthermore, the content is not reviewed, approved or published by any employer.